Saturday, April 23, 2011

Texas, our Texas

Ran across some interesting facts about Texas today that I had to share!

Bluebonnets, the state flower.


  • Forty percent of the farm-grown catfish in the United States is consumed by Texans
  • It is illegal to spit on the sidewalk.
  • In Texas, pharmacists can't be registered members of the Communist Party.
  • It is illegal to milk another person's cow.
  • The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a recipe for making beer that can be used at home.
  • The official dish of Texas is chili.
  • The world’s largest collection of beer bottles can be seen at Wurstfest in New Braunfels.
  • You can be legally married by publicly introducing a person as your husband or wife three times.
  • Rodeo is the official state sport of Texas, though High School Football is more popular.
  • In Houston it is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday.
  • The King Ranch in Texas is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
  • Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
  • More land is farmed in Texas than in any other state.
  • Brazoria County (where I was born and raised) has more species of birds than any other comparable area in North America.




3 comments:

krimsonblue said...

Oh, Texas! I'm going to miss this state so much. Thanks for sharing all of this interesting info...I'm pretty sure I've been dropping these facts at every available opportunity.

Brittnee said...

I'm so glad someone else enjoyed them as much as I did!

Cherish said...

Okay, so first off, let me start by saying I cannot wait to be back.... only ONE more day!! And second, let's find a sexy, smart, rich guy, I'll run up to him, introduce him as my husband three times quick, and lock it in. Then Camden & I will be all set. What do you say? You down to help a sista out?? Haha :)