Sunday, November 13, 2011

Eat Food

“...There's a lot of money in the Western diet. The more you process any food, the more profitable it becomes. The healthcare industry makes more money treating chronic diseases (which account for three quarters of the $2 trillion plus we spend each year on health care in this country) than preventing them. ” 
 Michael Pollan, Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

So I just wanted to brag a little bit for a moment. 5 weeks ago (as of tomorrow) I decided it was time to go back to my vegetarianism. I had a few different reasons: 1) I just like the idea of saying I'm a vegetarian. I'm not ashamed to admit it. 2) Although I'm not a huge animal rights activist, I'm completely against the way animals are treated in the name of money here in America. 3) I'm also against the way Americans consume meat. And 4) being a vegetarian forces me to eat healthier all around.

I had noticed that I was gaining weight. And yes, I know, I was at a perfectly healthy weight. My BMI was 22, right in the middle of the recommend 18-25 range. BUT I know my body. I'm not an extremely active person, I don't have a lot of muscle, therefore the extra belly weight is not necessary. And, of course, my eating habits weren't what they should have been.

Well, anyway, 5 weeks ago I stopped eating meat and increased my fruit and veggie intake. I had set a weight loss goal of 1 pound per week. I'm down 7. I'm officially at my lowest weight since having Olivia 2 years ago and only ONE pound away from my pre pregnancy weight. (Yes, it took me a while, haha.) And this is without any exercise, just changing my eating habits. I'm not really the kind of person that works out, unless it's fun, which is why I'll be buying a bycicle in the next couple of weeks.

Even with good results, I still need some motivations. I just finished reading Food Rules by Michael Pollan the other day. I highly recommend it!


It's 64 rules about what to eat (food, not the processed food-like substances we find in the grocery stores these days) and how to eat. Pollan is not a vegetarian, so his advice goes for everyone. 

I'm currently reading another of Pollan's books and so far it's just as good as the last. 


I'll write more about it once I finish!

Luis has seen amazing results. He hasn't fully commited to a completely plant-based diet yet, but he has cut down to only having meat at dinner 2-3 times a week. 

I've currently lent out my Food Rules book, but once I get it back I'll post a few of my favorites :)

1 comment:

Brittany Holden said...

I would totally be interesting in moving towards more vegetarian dishes if you started posting recipes! I hate how much we eat meat, but it seems like the only alternative here is pasta!