Monday, November 21, 2011

Vegetarian Chili

I'm making myself try new things lately. I've never liked eggs or beans. Ever. But not getting enough protein is almost always a concern of vegetarians. I've started trying new recipes and I've actually come to like a lot of them. I made this chili tonight and it was really good! I might alter it a bit next time and make it a little less runny. So here it is- vegetarian chili:


What you need:
4 cups of water, divided
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

What to do:
Over medium-high heat, add 3 cups water and next 9 ingredients (through white beans), stirring to combine. 

Combine remaining water and tomato paste in a separate bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir tomato paste mixture into bean mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese if desired.


I actually let mine simmer for around 30 minutes just because I was waiting for Luis to get home from work. This is the perfect recipe for a cold winter evening. Luis loved it and food has to be really delicious for him to not want meat with it. Win!


No comments: