Friday, October 4, 2013

On self acceptance.


I'm going to switch gears for a second today.
Something that is almost always on my mind is self acceptance.
I mean, we've heard it a million times,
"in order to be loved, you have to love yourself first."
But do we truly believe it?
I think it's an incredibly long journey, 
and one I'm most definitely still on, 
but I think I've come very far in recent years.
Maybe it's the fact that I've birthed a baby naturally
and that my body has sustained her for six months,
but I think it has more to do with age.
For the first time in my life I really and truly
feel completely comfortable with who I am
and this body that I have.
I may never be as skinny as I once was
(do I even want to be?)
and my belly will probably never be flat again.
I'm starting to get little tiny wrinkles around my eyes
and I still have the skin of a teenager.
But I've also carried two children in my body,
brought them into this world.
I get up and move and meet their needs every single day.
When you love yourself,
you take better care of yourself.
It's true.
As a mother of two girls,
it is so so important to me that they never hear 
me talk down on myself.
They will never hear me call myself fat
or complain that my hips are too big.
Girls have so much pressure from this world
to look a certain way
and I will not add to that at home.
I will tell them that they're beautiful all the time,
because they need to hear it
so that they don't go looking for that somewhere else.
But they will know that they are more than just their looks.
I will tell them that they are smart, and kind,
and loving, and funny.
And while I'm on that topic,
as women,
we should be telling each other that all the time.
There is so much body hate amongst women.
The thin girls call the bigger ones fat and lazy
and then they turn around and say 
"real women have curves."
Can't we all just stop the hating and love ourselves
(and each other)
a little more?

Happy Friday! :)



2 comments:

cherishashton said...

Of course you knew I would love this! You're such an amazing woman, Britt. Proud and grateful to have you in my life :)

cherishashton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.